Friday, January 20, 2012

Tuktuk ride of DOOM...

[by Kai]

I drove in a Thai tuktuk today, and it was the most frightening experience of my life. Five of us packed into a tiny meter-wide open cart, hurtling down the dangerous roads of Bangkok at lethal speeds with a driver who barely understands English. No seatbelts. The number of times we almost into taxis trying to run a red light (fairly normal in Bangkok) or pedestrians choosing the wrong time to cross the street was innumerable. Still though, despite the dangerously reckless driving, it was rather exhilarating.


The feeling that your life is about to end gives you an adrenaline boost incomparable with anything else. Plus, you end up kinda just resigned to the fact that you have a 50% chance of making it through the day. It's kinda relaxing, really.

Here's a video, but I must say, it's much more impressive in person.





Soleil somehow managed to sleep all the way through almost the entire ride. I don't know how she does it. That girl is skilled.


1 comment:

  1. Foreign transportation can be quite exciting. Most of it makes even Bay Area traffic look tame by comparison. The scariest one I had was in a taxi in Taiwan...

    ReplyDelete