Friday, January 27, 2012

Making a Difference in Thailand

[posted by Lisa]

An Interview with Bodhi Garrett 
Transcription, January 25, 2012                                         Our Jungle House, Khao Sok

Lisa: We are interviewing Bodhi Garrett.  My first question is, could you tell us a little about your history. 

Bhodi: I was born and raised in Kathmandu and when I was seven I moved to Monterey and then I went to Berkeley and live in Oakland and Berkeley where I worked as an environmental lobbyist.  From there I moved to Nepal again but I couldn’t get a job because the civil war was on so I came to Thailand as a volunteer.  I got a job at an ecotourism resort, which was destroyed by the Tsunami and then I got involved in non-profit work and started my own NGO here, which is non-governmental organization.

Lisa: And that was the North Andaman Tsunami Relief Organization?

Bodhi: It was and then that eventually turned into Andaman Discoveries.

Kaizen: So what exactly is “ecotourism”?

Bodhi: Well, in it’s most common form, it’s tourism in the eco-system and I think unfortunately that really is how it’s defined by most people.  But to my mind eco-tourism incorporates an aspect of responsibility as well; of trying to not degrade the resources you’re going to enjoy.  And if you see human beings as part of the environment and part of nature then the natural segue to that is also making sure that it respects the human community.  So I prefer the term “responsible tourism” because it incorporates responsibility to the environment, to the community, to the economic situation and yourself.  What is eco-tourism?  It’s marketing word.  It’s not in depth enough to really describe the practice.

Lisa: And so what are the important elements of “responsible tourism” to you?  What is it you aspire to contribute in terms of tourism, if you take away the marketing piece and get the heart of the practice?

Bodhi:  Here’s the deal.  We have a wildly unsustainable global system that is extracting resources and producing people at rate that our planet cannot keep up with.  We’re a closed system, not an open system and we don’t have any other planets to go to so we’d better do well with this one.  How to do that is a really good question; what does each person want to do to make the world a better place?  For me, I didn’t choose to get involved in tourism.  I was in an area I wanted to help and where tourism was a major force, so I utilized it as a tool.  One side is to try and support the communities that are moving in a more sustainable direction and living in a more sustainable way and then the other part is to try and effect and transform the guests that are visiting.  When you’re at home you’re busy and you’ve got your schedule and your classes and your stuff to do and there’s not a lot of time to think outside the box.  When people go on vacation they’re open to new ways of life and new ways of thinking and so for me, yes people flew here on a plane and used oil to get here and they drove here in a car and they burned oil, they bought snacks at the store that were manufactured thousands of kilometers away and driven here with trucks and wrapped in unnecessary plastic.  All true; but at the same time when people come here their minds are open to how they might change the way they live so if they can come into a more direct experience with nature, if they can see that the rubber and the cooking oil in their house comes from the destruction of the rainforest that they’re enjoying so much I think it helps them to see the system, to get a systems perspective and to participate in non-linear models of change, meaning that once they get here it’s not my job to teach them how to be sustainable which is not my place, it’s every bodies job to figure it out on their own.  The more people understand the system the more sustainability is a natural conclusion.  And so to me, if we can get people out here thinking about how amazing nature is and then understanding the larger system then hopefully it creates positive change.  And then if you can do it in such a way that people want to come, then other people will copy you, which is better than copying the 7-11 or the Motel 6 down the street. 

Kaizen: You said in another interview that coming from a privileged and wealthy society has both benefits and responsibilities.  So how can people from outside the area learn to help and contribute?

Bodhi: One thing that is important is that while you’re traveling here to try and figure out where the money you’re spending while is going.  Is it going to ethical people or not?  Just to take an example like cocaine.  I don’t really care much about cocaine.  I’m not that into drugs.  I’m not for or against cocaine but I’m really against the people who produce and sell it.  They’re bad people and they hurt other people.  So when people make economic choices they have a responsibility for where that money is accruing.  If I send a rock down a hill and then walk away, it’s still kind of my fault if that rock hits someone.  So, that’s one thing that’s important to think about when we travel; to ask where we’re accruing benefit.  Are we accruing benefit to people who are working for a positive future or are we accruing benefit for people who are just trying to milk tourism for as much cash as they can so they can go buy another car or another rubber plantation?

Lisa: And as tourists how can we tell?  How do we know where our money is best spent?
Bodhi: I think doing research, trying to be informed, checking in with the people you’re visiting to see if they’re aligned with that vision or not, generally speaking, trying to keep travel to more local places, not the large chains, not to big resorts, not to places where the standard of living is way higher than any of the villages around it.  I think those are some good ways to start.  Traveling with respect and acknowledging that responsibility. And then the other part is trying to generate some practical, on the ground good.  Just something small.  Just to know that your visit somewhere made a difference; made a positive impact.  So, you can always try to talk to people about sustainability and getting them interested in these topics to spread the impact.  And you can go home and tell all your friends and encourage it to happen but I feel those are secondary and tertiary kinds of benefits.  And it’s also important when you’re in a place to just make sure you do some concrete good for someone there. 

Lisa: Can you give an example of that?

Bodhi: Sure, well there was this researcher doing research on a fishing community up north on the Northern Andaman coast and she was sure that her research was going to contribute to a better-informed policy about how climate change was affecting global fishing communities.  But I wasn’t so sure so I asked her to challenge that notion and find something she could do as well and she found a kid with some development challenges and helped get him into a school for kids with developmental challenges instead of just sitting home all day.  So for you guys, when you’re traveling, I guess you don’t have that much time and depth of knowledge but you bump into good people trying to good things all over the place and to align with them and give them a little bit of help, whether that’s moral support or financial support which should be given very carefully, or just going to help out somewhere for a day so that people see that you support them.

Lisa: So on that note, could you talk a little bit about Andaman Discoveries? Because I believe that’s part of what Andaman Discoveries is trying to support isn’t it?

Bodhi: It is.  We try to make sure that whatever the context, if people go with us into a village, that they are contributing.  So, for example, if they go in to do a village tour all of the guides are local, all of the service providers are local and in addition there’s a contribution to the community fund, so that 15% of the money that the guest pays to stay in the village goes to a fund that is used to benefit the whole community.  Same thing with the study tours and the volunteers.  I think it’s important to understand that a volunteer who goes in for two weeks is probably going to benefit a lot more than the program is because they get to go, they get to be in service, they get to be in touch with this wonderful group that doing all this good work.  So that’s why we ask them to contribute financially as well.  That way people can plug in for the short-term with their hands and hearts and then help on the long term on the financial side.  When you go to volunteer, if you go to serve, often you tend to get more benefit than the people you’re serving, which is a good thing, and it should be part of self-development to go volunteer and do stuff like that but it’s also important to think about what that organization is doing when you’re not there, when you’ve gone back to your normal life, their mission continue.   We do really try to focus on exchanges so it’s a bi-directional thing rather than just community-shares-their-
culture-with-you. 

Lisa: Are there opportunities for family even on the short term.  Are their opportunities for teenagers to contribute?

Bodhi: There are super opportunities for teenagers to be involved.  Younger kids might just be able to play with the children but the teenagers can be a role-model.  That’s what’s cool.  It’s not just some adult talking at them; there’s another kid who is interested and has skills they can teach.  That part is actually very useful.  For example, a family that came last year volunteered in the Burmese learning center, taught a few lessons, played with the kids at playtime, and helped clean up the school, and helped elevate the floor of the preschool so the kids could take a nap.  The school floods twice a month at high tide.  Then based on that, they got really interested and then banded together with some of their friends to help us buy the land.

Kaizen: Could you tell us about this school project?

Bodhi: Yes, the kids were stuck in this school in the inter-tidal zone, which flooded twice a month with garbage and nastiness from the sewers, full-on.  And that sucks!  That’s not a good place for kids to learn. It’s not safe, it’s not healthy, it’s not clean. We work with a partner organization called FED, Foundation for Education and Development (wonderful organization!), based out of Koa Lok.  We identified a partner organization that has the long-term vision for how to empower the Burmese community in Southern Thailand. And one of the ways they do that is with a series of twelve schools. One of those schools is in our area. And they find it a lot easier to get funding for the main schools that they have in the Khao Lok area.  And basically they just told us that there was no way we could build a new school up there. So because it’s part of that larger organization after we buy the land, which we’ve already done, and now build a school, which we’re hoping to start next week, then we let this organization utilize it because they’ve got the teachers, they’ve got the relationships with the students, they’ve got the understanding about what is important for the Burmese kids to learn.  So, that’s how we got involved.  Initially we were volunteering, ourselves at the center, and then we were sending paying volunteers to the center, then we started sponsoring their school lunch program and now we’ve finally been able to raise the money to buy the land and hopefully soon we’ll have the rest of the money to finish building the school.

Lisa: Why is that you’re focusing on the Burmese community?  Are the Thai kids handled?  What’s their school situation?

Bodhi: Everybody needs better education but the Burmese have none.  It’s kind of like moving the US as an immigrant and not being able to speak English; it makes life hard!  It’s difficult not to speak the dominant language.

Lisa: So the Burmese are immigrants to Thailand.

Bodhi: Yes, their immigrant laborers; they’ve come to work in the fishing industry and in the rubber palm plantations.  And their children don’t have education and don’t have access to education.  They don’t have any nationality, or human rights. 

Lisa: So they’re much more underprivileged than the Thai kids here…

Bodhi: Vastly! And given that they’re 30-40% of the population in some places…Any time a society isn’t take care of 30-40% of its people it creates problems.  It creates problems with communicable disease and health, social issues, poverty and crime.  So, the more we can help these kids be happy, well-adjusted members of the society to which they now belong the better.  It also helps them to avoid discrimination if they speak Thai and represent themselves and know their rights.

Lisa: So it’s probably more important for them to learn Thai then to learn English…

Bodhi: Well, half-half.  It they can learn English they can get jobs and they can compete with Thai people.

Kaizen: So, what is the common educational experience for Thai kids?

Bodhi: Memorize this book please and recite it back to me.  Critical thinking is not part of the program.  That being said, there are lot of good teacher who try to get important information across to the kids but overall the structure of the educational system here is not one that encourages creative thought.  It’s a system in which probably you would have stopped paying attention to me by now in this conversation.  Because I’m talking about “weird” big ideas that don’t related to what you just watched on tv or what you’re thinking about doing today.  Your ability to track this conversation, even though you’ve been bored a few times in the conversation, but to stay with it and bring it back, is the kind of skill that would be very useful in Thai education.

Lisa: Is there universal education in Thailand for Thai people?

Bodhi: Yes.  Mostly now until at least 9th grade. Though Paul there, he was only in school until 6th grade and has taught himself English.  But it wasn’t school.  He’s a curious interested man who likes to learn and advance himself. 

Lisa: So, with the school project what’s needed?  What’s next?

Bodhi: There are two directions on this.  The first is what’s needed for the school and for the partner organization to run the school and then there’s what’s needed on our end as organization to finish building the school.  Find the money…maybe $7000 to finish building the school and to make sure that the school meets the needs of our partner, make sure it’s consistent with the vision of the organization that’s going to be running the school, to make sure it really syncs with what they’re doing.  So, the director of FED is currently reviewing the plans and the construction budget.  And then we need to make sure that they can run it responsibly.  I just spent a year raising $80,000 and I have a responsibility to make sure that’s used well.  So we’ll give it over to the NGO for use for free for as long as they want but I don’t think we’ll sign it over to them until I know for sure that they can keep running it for three or four years.  If not then we have to make sure that we can use that land for some other ethical purpose, like doing something for the Burmese kids and the local Muslim kids in the surrounding villages which are also poor- not as poor as the Burmese villages, but poor.  The final part is making sure that when the school is built it’s a thing of quality and integrity and won’t become an immediate headache for someone.  These guys gave me a boat after the Tsunami…free boat, free engine, amazing!  Turns out they had driven it terribly and it was about to break apart.  I got stuck with $7000 in repairs so it wasn’t free at all.  And when I ask them to help because I didn’t have the money to fix it they said “we gave it to you as it was, it’s not our problem anymore”.  That’s not cool.  That’s not particularly helpful.  That’s the kind of helping that you do to feel good about yourself not to genuinely make the world a better place.  That’s one other thing I’d like to comment on; when we talk about all this stuff about helping people and doing good.  You really have to examine your own motivation.  Why am I doing this?  Am I doing this to feel better about myself? Am I doing it to feel like a good person and then I can go back to the rest of my life and ignore the uncool things that I’m doing?  Or am I doing this because I genuinely love, respect and support the people and I want to join with them to make something better.  There are a lot of reasons for helping and not all of them are healthy and the ones that aren’t healthy are generally not that effective because the motivation is wrong and often influence the outcome in a negative direction.  Here’s an example.  This guy comes into a village and drops off 5 tons of squid net and drives away.  So what happens?  Well, someone in the village tries to own it.  And then someone else tries to own it and then they start fighting.  So we call the guy and say dude, serious conflict because of what you did.  He says back “well, these Thai people they don’t know how to organize themselves; I’m going home”.  So because he didn’t have the wisdom and the commitment and the courage to find out how to really help, he helped in a lame way and then when it didn’t work out he blamed the people he was trying to help.

Lisa: Kaizen, Bodhi just answered one of our questions, or at least the corollary of our question. 

Kaizen: Yes, he keeps answering my questions before I can ask them.

Bodhi: That’s because I can see where you’re going.  Your questions are well-constructed and follow a logical path.

Lisa: We read online that you feel that The Tsunami Relief organization you started after the Tsunami can be more effective because it assessed the needs of the people.  Can you give an example of that.

Bodhi: Sure, back to the squid net.  The donor was a jerk and had left and so we asked the chief and the two district council members to please give us the net, which we then took out of the village.  We then did an assessment of how many people had been squid fisherman before the Tsunami.  Well, it’s not just net you need to make squid traps.  You need wood, you need rope, you need palm leaves, you need twine to tie it together and you need foam to keep it floating.  None of which any of the villagers had any money to buy because it was just after the Tsunami.  Yet they did want to get back out into the waters to fish because that’s how they made their money.  So we partnered with SDC to buy the rest of the equipment, we divided it into 56 packages, which we delivered to the homes of the 56 families who had been squid fisherman before the Tsunami.   We had one guy get really upset and yell and scream and throw things at me because we didn’t give anything to him.  He had been given money for assistance because he owned a shrimp boat when nobody else had gotten money yet.  Because we’d done our homework we were able to check if we had genuinely forgotten this guy.  And by being fair in that way, we earned the respect of the villagers so when we opened a community center they would come because they knew we’d treat them fairly.

Kaizen: So does being a foreigner here help or hurt you in trying to make a difference?

Bodhi: Yes and yes.  If I fall, I fall alone but there’s a positive racism towards to farang.  I think I’ve done a pretty good job of exploiting my privilege here to try and work for real justice.  If there’s a matter of conflict usually people will defer to me, I’ve never been stopped by the police like many of my Thai friends, often people are respectful because I’m here trying to do good and generally I’m assumed to have money.  So that benefits me, plenty, but it’s not cool because there are a lot of other people on the other side of that discrimination.  I have buddies who, dude, if their hair was a long as yours they’d be in jail.  The police would stop them every time there was a tail-light broken on their motorcycle.  Especially the Burmese community; they’re really picked on!  So, I can’t deny the fact that I’m a white westerner with a good education; that’s who I am and that’s part of what gave me the understanding to want to do something about what’s messed up in the world.  My kind parents and my kind teachers gave me some perspective…but then how to use it in a way that tries to make sure that’s available for everyone.  It’s not that we’re all born equal, but we all have equal value.  You can’t expect everybody to be the same but you have to give everybody a chance to be respected.  And I think that’s what’s important.  We need janitors and we need CEO’s…well, we certainly need janitors, we may or may not need CEOs.  So if I’m in a CEO role in this culture then how do I make sure to build an organization that is fair and happy and leads to a good life for everyone from the janitor on up.  And that’s what needs to happen.

Lisa: Are the changes you’re contributing to generally appreciated by the local people or are they suspect? 

Bodhi:  Neither.  They kind of write it off as “you’re a nice boy”.  The muslim villages were more suspect of me, but for good reason.  I remember the first time a chief called me in and asked “why are you here and why are you helping my people?” and when I answered his hard questions he said “great, you’re welcome. Come anytime and let know how I can help you help”.  We’re not necessarily taken that seriously but that can be kind of cool.  For example, there’s a fishing village that work in and the squid traps get eaten up by the giant boats that are off the coast, which are owned by the Chinese mafia (and which are killing off of all the fish).  So when their traps are gone they don’t have any money because they can’t sell squid to buy new traps, so they’ve got to go to the local dude that loans them money.  They borrow money to buy new traps and then for the rest of their lives they owe him 30% of their catch.  That’s messed up.  That’s called economic feudalism, slavery, self’s and peasants.  This is what revolutions were made of in Europe.  When I come in nobody pays much attention to the farang giving scholarships and that buys me time to set up a co-op store and get enough money together to buy the first round of stuff to sell to them at real prices and then instead of giving their money to the money lender they give their money to the store which generates more money to buy more stuff which they can sell for a cheaper price.  If they knew that was what I was up to they wouldn’t even let me near the village.  But by the time I can set that up it’s too late.  So you’re not taken seriously but you can use it to your advantage because good people with a common mission will take you seriously.  And you don’t always want to be taken too seriously.

Bodhi: What do you see that you could do?  As you’ve been traveling around have you seen any places that you might be able to contribute?  That’s an interesting thing to assess.  Whether or not you have time, you’re a real person moving through real places which means you can make a real difference even if it’s only a small one and it’s not meaning that you should, everywhere, but if you start to pay attention to how yo might then when you see the really key ones, or something that you really care about you’re tuning your skills to how to help the best.  I do community-based tourism, I do responsible tourism and I went on vacation in Vietnam and found a chill little bungalow by the beach run by a nice person and road a motorcycle around.  That’s all I wanted to do but then there was this kid whose mom was really poor and couldn’t find new lines of work and so I set up little account for the kid, it was a monthly thing where the kid has some money.  That was enough.

Lisa: So that raises the question about how you should give money.  If I was in a situation like that I’d be hesitant; how did you know that was appropriate and appreciated and useful?  Like you said earlier sometimes just giving money can be the worst thing you can do if you don’t do it right.

Bodhi: You don’t want mom to spend the money all at once or in a way that isn’t useful for the kid.  So what we do is transfer it in small doses and the hotel owner and the mom are both signatory’s on the account so he monitors how she’s spending the money because it’s supposed to be on the kid.  And in this case it was also about recognizing that I didn’t have a great shot at empowering the mom who was pretty fundamentally disempowered.  So at least helping the kid get a leg up on the education system was useful.  It’s all about the method; it’s not just about giving some kid money.  Making sure that the kid understands that he holds the bankbook.

Lisa: where was the money supposed to go, in this case?

Bodhi: To family expenses, school uniforms and food. 

Lisa: Going back to the school organizational system again it seems like you’re involved with a lot of different organizations.  I’m trying to understand how you do them all and how they all fit together.  There’s Tsuanami relief and Andaman Discoveries and Our Jungle House

Bodhi: Yes, I’m the volunteer director and the manager at Our Jungle House…it’s about partnership.   I know what I can do best and I try to keep doing it and I try to do it in the service of people who do a good job.  At one point Andaman Discoveries was up to 46 staff and we were running our own training center as time went on I realized that we could grow more into the role or we could find the people who were already doing it and likely to keep doing it for a really long time and support them.  And so that’s what we do; work in partnership with people who can do a great job.  We just built a community center out in Ban Lion that you’ll go see.  To do that we cooperated first and foremost with the village group and then also with Naucrates, which is the Turtle Conservation group out there as well as another NGO called Mangrove Action Project so we were the main four partners and then we brought in people from other NGOs, from a community network of thirteen villages who went in and shared experiences with the villagers and do exchanges.  That way you don’t have to pay for expensive academic outside trainers to come in and tell people what they probably already know. 

Lisa: So one final question since we’re going to be going to Ban Lions, in that particular community what is most needed? 

Bodhi: It’s a tough community with a lot of problems.  It was built by the Lions Club and entirely too big, probably for corruption reasons.  Very few of the original villagers moved back but a lot of really good people from the island ended up moving there.  So there’s not enough kids for the school to be open, or more accurately, the headmaster in another village is corrupt and steals the money.  If that weren’t the case I’d say plug in with the school.  But in this case, the school is not an option.  The conversation work that’s going on there is really good; that’s with the group called Naucrates. Really what I think the village needs most is empowerment of the community.  I’m sure there are a lot of things that can be done but off the top of my head, to go in for a couple of weeks with a translator at the community center and to try and document the villagers way of life, to start to tell the story of BaanLions, I think could be really useful and fun.

Lisa: How would that be useful for the village?

Bodhi: It would empower them to think about their lives, to think about why they’re at Baan Lion, what are the choices they’ve made, what kind of goals do they have for Ban Lion, why aren’t they on the mainland washing dishes in a restaurant?  What do they want out there?  What’s the history of their family? What led them to be there?  How long have they been on the island?  What is the interesting stuff that’s happening?  And then we start to create a sense of community in Baan Lion (because it’s three or four villages all mixed together) by the sharing of these stories.  That’s the only village I would give that answer for of the 15 villages I work in.  Elsewhere I would say check in at a special education institution like an orphanage or a school for Burmese kids.  You could spend part of the day doing service and part of the day interacting with the kids. 

Lisa: Kaizen, do you have any final questions?

Bodhi: Ok, dude, now I get feedback from you?  What did you think of this interview?  What did you think of my answers?  Did you find it interesting?  Boring?  What are the areas you would want to follow up on?

Kaizen: I’m not good answering questions like this.

Bodhi: That’s ok, as long as you’re good at thinking about them. Can I ask this?  Can you kick out anything about around here?  About staying at the jungle house and staying here for the last few days? Why was this place interesting for you?  Or why not?  You can be honest.  What’s your assessment of this place?  We claim to be an ecolodge…are we?  That would stoke me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment